ArcGIS for iPhone extends the reach of your GIS from the office to the mobile web. It includes a free application that you can download from the iTunes App Store along with a native Objective C/Cocoa developer kit that you can leverage to build your own iPhone applications.
ArcGIS API for iPhone has now been made available for download as part of a public beta. The ArcGIS API for iPhone enables you to build iPhone applications that utilize the powerful mapping, geocoding, geoprocessing, and custom capabilities provided by ArcGIS Server.
What can you do with the iPhone API?
Using the iPhone API you can:
- Display and use maps that blend dynamic and cached (tiled) map services from ArcGIS Online and/or your ArcGIS Server.
- Execute sophisticated geoprocessing tasks and display their results.
- Search and identify features and create useful reports of feature found.
- Collect locations by sketching on the map or using the GPS embedded in your device
What does the iPhone API include?
The ArcGIS iPhone API provides the following resources for you to use in your iPhone applications:
- Maps â€“ The API supports display of both dynamic and cached (tiled) map services from ArcGIS Server. With the ArcGIS iPhone API, you can display maps in any projection.
- Graphics â€“ You can enhance your iPhone applications by allowing users to draw graphics or by providing informational popup windows when the user taps on a graphics feature.
- Tasks â€“ Common GIS tasks such as query, search and identify of features, finding addresses and places, geoprocessing and collection.
Youtube videos ArcGIS For iPhone :
- See what’s new in ArcGIS Mobile and demos of ArcGIS for iPhone.
- ArcGIS for the iPhone : Find and use ArcGIS services to access content directly from the iPhone
Everything you need to get started can be found on the ArcGIS API for iPhone Resource Centre here: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/iphone-sdk